AV Ribbon Fly
I own the intellectual copyright for the written tutorial. What you make is yours, but please do not take my tutorial. Share only my link.
This tutorial is intended for beginners to learn how to create a ribbon fly using AV Bros Page Curl. If you have any questions, please feel free to Email me.
To do this tutorial you will also need Photoshop CS - CS3. You may download a free trial at Adobe.
Remember to save as a .psd file often!
Download Plugin & Install: AV Bros PAGE Curl 2.1 or higher
Download these Presets. Place them in any folder you want (not PSP folders)
1. Open a new, transparent image, size = 500 x 500. It's important that you use this size for the presets to work properly. Try this size first to get the hang of it, then you can experiment with the settings to apply to a larger size.
2. Use the RECTANGULAR marquee tool and draw a selection that is about 400 pixels wide, and about 40 pixels high. Flood-fill this selection with your favorite pattern or gradient or color. Edit > Fill
3. Selection > Deselect **there must be no selection!
4. Filter> AV Bros > Page Curl 2.1
Click on the Main menu and choose Load Settings (absolute)
Browse to the folder where you saved the presets. Choose TwistRDB2.avcps
5. In the lower LEFT of the Page Curl settings box, click on DEFINE and choose Custom Color.
With the eye dropper choose a color from your ribbon that you wish to use. (notice on the Backside-right-that the pattern is there) Click Apply
6. This is what you end up with
7. Layers > New Layer
8. Use the Rectangular Marquee tool again to draw a rectangular selection about the same size as before. Fill it again with your pattern.
9. Selection > Deselect
10. Effects > Plugins > AV Bros > Page Curl 2.1
11. Click on the Main Menu > Load Settings (absolute) and choose ButterflyWing2.avcps
12. Right-click on the layer in the Layer Palette and choose Duplicate
13. Edit > Transform > Flip vertically
14. Layers > Merge Down.
15. With the mover tool, move the wing into place on the left side of the body.
16. Right-click on the merged layer and choose Duplicate.
17. Edit > Transform > Flip vertically. With the mover tool, move the wing into place. It should look like the picture below
18. Right-click on the highlighted layer in the Layer Palette and choose Merge > Merge Down. (I moved the wing merge layer down below the body layer)
19. Right-click on the wing layer and choose Duplicate.
20. Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontally
21. With the mover tool, move the wing into position.
22. Use the Paint brush tool, size 3, foreground color = black.
23. Draw an antenna by left-clicking on the body part first, then left clicking off the ribbonfly. When you do the second click, do not release the mouse button. Hold it down and drag out the arrow to make the antenna curve some, like in the image below. Release. Click the Apply Green check in the top tool bar.
24. Choose the paint brush tool set to round, size 5 brush and left-click once on the end of the antenna to place the dot on the end. Now either use the pen tool to draw the second antenna, or duplicate this antenna layer and flip it.
25. Layers > Merge Visible.
26. Save this as a PNG image if you plan on sharing with other users.
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.