Button and Fray Frame
I own the intellectual copyright for the written tutorial. What you make is yours, but please do not take my tutorial. Share only my link.
This tutorial is intended for beginners to learn how to use a mask and how to fold corners. If you have any questions, please feel free to Email me.
Remember to save as a psp file often!
Download the mask.
Download and install Eye Candy 4
1. Open a new, transparent image, size 800 x 600 pixels.
2. Flood-fill with the color of your choice.
3. Effects > 3D Effects > Eye Candy 4000 > Weave.
Settings: ribbon width = 9, gap = 1.75, shadow strength = 50, thread detail = 50, thread length = 22, select gap fill = black color
4. Open mask in PSP, and minimize. Click back on your weave image. Layers > New Mask Layer > From Image.
5. Set Source window to the mask -- UnraveledCloth, and Create mask from Source luminance
6. Right-click on top mask layer and choose Merge > Merge Group.
7. Effects > 3D Effects > Drop Shadow. Vertical & Horizontal = 1, Opacity = 100, Blur = 2, color = black.
8. Choose the selection tool, set to rectangle. Draw a rectangle in middle, to make a frame.
9. Press delete key, to cut out center of frame.
10. With the magic wand select the transparent middle inside the frame.
11. Selection > Modify > Expand, by 5 pixels
12. Selection > Modify > Feather, by 10 pixels
13. Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Brightness/Contrast Brightness = - 44 (negative), Contrast = 26
14. Right-click on layer and choose Duplicate.
15. In Layer Palette, click on bottom layer. Image > Resize. Resize 98%
16. In Layer palette, click on top layer.
17. Choose the pen tool. In the pen tool bar, set the pen mode = segment, CHECK connect segments. CHECK create on vector
set Line style to small dash line, width = 10
18. Set your foreground color. Left-click ONCE on left side where you want to start the line, then hold SHIFT key down and left-click once on right side where you want the line to end. This will fill in the line with the dashes between those two points.
19. But the threads don't look long enough. on the pen tool bar, under Duplication X, set = 5, then click the green arrow under duplication. You should notice that the dashes have lengthened.
20. Then click the Apply green arrow at the beginning of the tool bar.
21. Now we're going to draw the dashes down the side. Left-click once at the top, then hold SHIFT key down and left-click once at the bottom.
22. Set the Duplication Y to 5, and click on the green check. Then click Apply.
23. Follow Steps 18 -20 to do the horizontal stitches under the frame, and Steps 21 -22, to do the vertical stitches on the left side of the frame.
24. Right-click on the stitches layer and choose Convert to Raster Layer
25. Choose the lasso tool. Set point to point, feather = 0.
26. Draw a selection around the top left corner.
27. Edit > Cut
28. Edit > Paste as new Layer
29. Image > mirror
30. Image > flip
31. Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Brightness/Contrast, brightness = - 10 (Negative), Contrast = 26
32. With the mover tool, move the corner into position.
33. Choose the Lighten/Darken tool.
34. Set shape = round, size = 16, hardness = 50, step = 10,
35. RIGHT-click and drag the tool over the cut edge to add a shadow there. It will make the cut edge look rounded.
36. Choose the MESH WARP tool.
Set Mesh horizontal & vertical to 15.
37. Moving nodes around will curve or bend the image. So move the nodes that I'm pointing to in those directions, to slightly curl the folded piece. Click on the green arrow (top toolbar) to apply.
38. Now repeat STEPS 26 - 37 on EACH corner, to make it look like all 4 corners are folded.
39. Layers > New Raster Layer
40. Choose the selection tool, set to circle.
41. In the top left corner, draw a circle selection to make a button. Fill this selection with your thread color. Then take the paintbrush and use a different color to draw two dots for the holes in the button. (Just left-click with a size 16 brush tip to make the hole)
42. With the magic wand, click on the hole dot and press delete to make the hole
43. Effects > 3D Effects > Inner Bevel. Set Bevel as so, width = 8, smoothness = 238, depth = 10, ambience = 0, shininess = 0, color = white, angle = 351, intensity = 40, elevation = 34.
44. Layers > New Raster Layer
45. With the cloth color, and the paintbrush tool, draw the thread through the hole, a small curve
46. Selections > Float
47. Effects > 3D Effects > Cutout, set Vertical & Horizontal = 0, Opacity = 75, Blur = 10
48. Right-click on thread layer and choose Merge > Merge Down
49. Right-click on top button layer and choose Duplicate
50. Image > Flip
51. Right-click on top layer and choose duplicate. Image > Mirror
52. Right-click on top layer and choose duplicate. Image > Flip
53. With the mover tool adjust the position of the buttons if necessary.
54. The frame is done. Layers > Merge > Merge Visible.
55. Save this as a PNG to be able to use it later. File > Save As.
56. To post in the forum, insert a picture, by adding the picture as a new layer, and moving the picture layer to the bottom. (Don't forget to resize for the forum!)
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.