I own the intellectual copyright for the written tutorial. What you make is yours, but please do not take my tutorial. Share only my link.
This tutorial is intended for a beginner to learn how to use some filters in Photoshop. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.
To do this tutorial you will also need Photoshop CS3 - CS5. You may download a free trial at Adobe.
Remember to save as a .psd file often!
1. Open new, transparent image, size 800 x 800 pixels.
2. Choose the Elliptical Marquee Tool, Feather = 0
3. Draw a fat horizontal Ellipse, not quite a circle.
Edit > Fill with a pattern of your choice. (See step 15 if you don't know how to put a pattern into Photoshop)
4. At the bottom of the Layer Palette, click on the fx button and choose Bevel and Emboss
5. Set: Inner Bevel, smooth, depth = 72%, up, size = 92, soften = 5, 120 deg, 30 deg, set highlight opacity = 37%
6. Click on the WORDS Inner Shadow. Set size = 21
7. Filter > Distort > Spherize. Amount = 100, mode = normal
8. Layer > New > Layer
9. Choose Rounded Rectangle Tool
10. Set foreground color to color of your choice. Draw a rounded rectangle on top of the globe.
11. Right-click on the shape layer and choose Duplicate.
12. With the mover tool, move the copy below the globe
13. Shrink this one just a bit by using Edit > Transform > Scale, and dragging in a corner node.
14. Open up a second pattern to use for the streamers.
15. Edit > Define Pattern. Close this pattern.
16. on the globe image: Layer > New > Layer
17. Choose the Rectangle Selection MARQUEE tool and draw a skinny vertical rectangle selection from the bottom of the globe, like so
18. Fill this selection with your 2nd pattern. Edit > Fill > pattern
19. Select > Deselect
20. In the Layer Palette, drag this layer below the top layer. Now the streamer should be "behind" the bottom trim
21. In the layer palette right-click on streamer layer and choose Duplicate.
22. Edit > Transform > Rotate
23. Grab the bottom right node and drag to the right about one square. Click the check at the top of the screen to apply.
24. In the Layer palette, right-click on this layer and choose Duplicate.
25. Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal. Use the mover tool to align the streamers as you want.
26. Choose the paintbrush, size = 11, hardness = 100. Draw a loop at the top of the lantern.
28. Image > Trim opacity
29. Save this as a PNG to use this as a tube for a later project.
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.