Coloring an Outline
I wrote this tutorial on my own. Any similarity to another tutorial is purely coincidental. I claim the copyright to my tutorial. You are free to do whatever you please with what you make, but please do not take my tutorial. Do not send the tutorial through email. Only share my link.
This tutorial was created for some friends of mine who wanted to begin learning more about PSP. It is intended for beginners to learn how to color and shade. If you have any questions, please feel free to Email me.
Remember to save as a psp file often!
Download the supplies. There are a few outlines of various fish. Pick one for you to use.
1. Open up the fish Outline tube you wish to use. Click SHIFT +D to duplicate. Close the original.
2. With the lasso tool set to freehand, draw a selection around the face of the fish.
3. Right-click on the layer and choose promote selection to Layer
4. With the magic wand select the areas outside the outline.
5. Selections > Invert
6. Selections > Load/Save Selection > Save Selection to Alpha Channel. This way you can use a selection of the fish as necessary.
7. Keep Selection. Layers > New Raster Layer. Drag this layer BELOW the outline layer.
8. Flood-fill this layer with the base color of your fish. This is the background layer.
9. Layers > New Raster Layer
10. Choose the airbrush tool
11. Set the airbrush to size = 15, hardness = 15, step = 10, density = 50, thickness = 100, rotation = 0, opacity = 20.
12. Set your foreground color to some darker version of your fish's background color. With the airbrush, spray the outer edges of the fish, and other parts where you want shadow.
13. Layers > New Raster Layer
14. Set the foreground color to white. With the Airbrush tool, spray the parts of the fish body that you want to add highlights to.
15. Layer > new Raster Layer
16. With your dark color, spray the edges of the eyes to give the eyes shadow.
17. Layer > New Raster Layer
18. With the white, spray the inner parts of the eyes to give highlights.
19. Choose the smudge Brush
20. Set the smudge brush to size = 25, hardness = 15, step = 1, density = 100, thickness = 100, rotation = 0, opacity = 30.
21. Click on the first shadow layer and smudge (left-clicking & drag) the shadows in the direction of the arrows in the picture (along the curves of the fish). Smudging smoothes out the shadows.
22. Repeat the smudging for each shadow and highlight layer!
23. Click back on the first shadow layer.
24. Adjust > Blur > Gaussian Blur. Radius = 7
25. Apply this blur to each shadow and highlight layer!
26. On each layer, slide the opacity settings to about 50%. Choose whatever setting works best for you.
27. Layers > Merge > Merge Visible
28. Now save this as a tube: File > Save As psp format.
29. To place on a web page or email, save as a GIF: File > Export > GIF Optimizer
Create a fish tank for your fish. Click Here
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.