copyright: Ruth Thompson @ Tarnished Images (Obsidian)
I claim the copyright to this tutorial. You are free to do whatever you please with what you make, but please do not take my tutorial. Do not send the tutorial through email. Only share my link.
This tutorial is intended for a beginner to learn about using filters. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.
To do this tutorial you will also need Photoshop CS. You may download a free trial at Adobe. You will also need a jpeg image of your choice.
Remember to save as a .psd file often!
1. Open up the jpeg image of your choice.
2. In top menu, click Image > Duplicate. Close the original.
3. In top menu, click Image
> Mode > Grayscale. This makes the image black and white.
4. In top menu, click Layer > New > layer
5. In top menu, click Filter > Render > Clouds
6. In the Layer Palette, click on the arrow by the Opacity and slide the bar to about 80%, or whatever looks good to you.
7. In top menu, click Layer > Merge Visible
8. In top menu, click Image > Duplicate. Minimize one image for now. We will use it later.
9. With the duplicate, in top menu, click Image > Image Size. Change the Width to a number that is 50 less than what it was before. The height will automatically change.
10. In top menu, click Select > All. Then click Edit > Copy.
11. Maximize the other copy image. In top menu, click Edit > Paste. This pastes the smaller image as a new layer on top of the larger image.
12. Choose the Magic Wand tool, and click on the space outside of the small image. (See pic below)
13. In the Layer Palette, click on the bottom (background) layer to highlight it.
14. In the top menu, click Filter > Texture > Mosaic Tiles. Set the size = 15, grout width= 1, lighten grout=0
15. In the Layer Palette, click on the top (layer1 ) layer to highlight it.
16. Right-click on the top layer to choose Blending Options.
17. Click on the words Drop Shadow. Set Blend Mode = Normal, Color = black, Opacity = 100%, Angle = 30, Distance= 5, Spread = 0, Size = 5
18. Then click on the words Inner Shadow. Set Blend Mode = Normal, Color = black, Opacity = 100%, Angle = 30, Distance = 5, Choke = 0, Size = 5
19. In the top menu click Select > Deselect.
20. In top menu, click Layer > Merge Visble.
21. In top menu, click Image > Canvas Size. Change the Width and Height to numbers that are 10 more than what your image is.
22. With the magic wand, select the transparent border.
23. In top menu, click Edit > Fill. Fill with black (my foreground color was black).
24. In top menu, Select > Deselect. Save image as a jpeg.
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.