Pom Pom Bear
I wrote this tutorial on my own. Any similarity to another tutorial is purely coincidental. I claim the copyright to my tutorial. You are free to do whatever you please with what you make, but please do not take my tutorial. Do not send the tutorial through email. Only share my link.
This tutorial was created for some friends of mine who wanted to begin learning more about PSP. It is intended for beginners to learn how to use plugins. If you have any questions, please feel free to Email me.
Remember to save as a psp file often!
You will need to download Alien Skin's Eye Candy 4000 plugin (not free, but there is a demo). You may also use Eye Candy 3.1.
1. Open new, transparent image, size = 600 x 600.
2. Choose the ellipse tool (You may have to right-click on the Rectangle Marquee tool and choose ellipse).
3. In the top ellipse tool bar, set it to circle.
4. Draw a circle that is about 250 pixels across.
5. Flood-fill the circle with a brown color for your bear. Write the # number down, so you will remember the color number later.
6. Selection > Deselect
7. Effects > Plugins > Eye Candy 4000 > Fur. Apply these settings: Direction = 355 - 0, Density = 80, Curl Size = 36, Curliness = 75, Length = 36.
8. Effects > Plugins > Eye Candy 4000 > Fur. Apply the same settings again, EXCEPT change the Direction = 177 - 180.
9. Effects > Plugins > Eye Candy 4000 > Jiggle. Apply these settings: Movement type = Brownian Motion, Bubble Size = 36.72, Warp Amount = 12. 72, Twist = 84.
10. Layer > New Layer.
11. Draw a smaller circle for the head. Flood-fill with the same brown used before).
12. Repeat Steps 6 - 10.
13. Draw a small circle for the ear. Edit > Fill > Color (Color = same brown used before).
14. Repeat Steps 6 - 9.
15. Slide this layer between the head and body layers. Right-click on the layer in the Layer Palette and choose Duplicate.
16. With the mover tool move the duplicate to the left to make the left ear.
17. Layer > New Layer.
18. Draw a smaller circle over the left ear. Flood-fill with a lighter brown color this time. Write this number down for later use.
19. Repeat Steps 6 - 9.
20. Right-click on the inner ear layer and choose Duplicate. Move it into position over the right ear.
21. Layer > New > Layer
22. Draw a small circle over the head to make the muzzle of the bear. Flood-fill with the same light brown color.
23. Repeat Steps 6 - 9.
24. In the Layer Palette, HIDE the body layer (bottom) by clicking on the eye.
24. Layer > Merge > Merge Visible.
25. In the Layer Palette, click on the layer name for the body layer twice and change the name to Body, click on the merged layer name twice and change the name to Head.
26. Now Repeat the process for making the arms. You will need two darker brown circles to make the length of the arm, and then one light brown circle to make the paw part of the hand. Do each circle on its own layer and repeat Steps 6 -9 to apply the filters. when you are done, it should look like below.
27. HIDe the body and head layers, and choose Merge > Merge Visible. Rename this layer Arm.
28. Right-click on the arm layer and choose Duplicate.
29. Image > Mirror. With the mover tool, move the two arms into position along the body.
30. Now make the leg. You will need two dark brown circles for the length of the leg, and one light brown circle for the paw part of the foot. Do each circle on its own layer and repeat Steps 6 -9 to apply the filters. when you are done, it should look like below.
31. HIDE the Body, Arm, Arm Copy, and Head layers. Layer > Merge >Merge Visible. Rename this layer Leg.
32. Right-click on the Leg layer and choose Duplicate.
33. Image > Mirror. With the mover tool, move both legs into position.
34. Layer > New Layer
35. Draw a very small circle selection for the eye. Flood-fill with black
36. Effects > 3D Effects > Inner Bevel. Choose the Round Preset.
37. Right-click on the eye layer and choose Duplicate . With the mover tool, move the eyes into position.
38. Edit > New Layer.
39. Set the ellipse tool to Style = Normal. Draw an ellipse for the nose, see below. Flood-fill with black
40. Set the ellipse tool to Style = Circle. Draw a small circle on the end of the right side of the nose, so that it slightly overlaps on the bottom part. Press Delete.
41. Draw a small circle on the end of the left side of the nose, so that it slightly overlaps on the bottom part. Press Delete.
42. Effects > 3D Effects > Inner Bevel. Apply the same round setting as before.
43. Choose the paint brush tool. set the paint brush = 3 pixels. Using color = black, draw in the mouth for the bear.
To make my bear a santa bear, I added a new layer and made a red pom pom. Then I duplicated the red pom pom and moved them into position to form the shape of a hat. Then I created a white pom pom on a new layer and duplicated it and moved them into position to make the trim on the hat.
45. Layers > Merge > Merge Visible
46. Resize as necessary. Image > Resize
47. File > Export > GIF Optimizer
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.