I own the intellectual copyright for the written tutorial. What you make is yours, but please do not take my tutorial. Share only my link.
This tutorial is intended for beginners to learn how to create a butterfly using a twisting ribbon. If you have any questions, please feel free to Email me.
I have granted permission to Sax to translate the tutorial in Italian
Remember to save as a psp file often!
Download Vizros 4 plugin and
install into your plugins folder.
1. Open a new, transparent image, size 500 x 500 (Once you do the tutorial, you can try other sizes).
2. Use the selection tool set to Rectangle and draw a rectangle selection, about 400 pixels long -- just estimate! Fill this selection with your favorite pattern or color or gradient.
3. Selection > Modify > Contract by 3
4. Effects > Plugins > Vizros 4 > Twist Apply these settings:
Choose: Top Left, Both, Direction = 60, Location = 40, Radius = 20, UNCHECK On Cylinder, Circle (If you used a large size canvas with a longer ribbon, then you will need to change the direction number to a smaller number)
In the settings part, choose Fore Page from the drop-down, Choose Image, Slider all the way to Opaque, CHECK Anti-alias
Then from the drop-down menu of settings choose Back Page, Choose solid color, choose Customer Color, use dropper to pick a color from the ribbon pattern, slider all the way to Opaque
Then from the drop-down menu of settings choose Ground Page, choose solid color = white, slider all the way to Transparent
Then from the drop down menu of settings, choose Unselected Page, Choose Solid color = white, slider all the way to transparent. Click OK
5. You will get a twisty ribbon that is selected. Choose Edit > Copy
6. Edit > Paste As New Image. Put this image aside. We'll come back to it.
7. Open a new, transparent image, size the same as before. Make a rectangle selection and fill it with the pattern you used before.
8. Right-click on the layer in the Layer Palette and choose Duplicate.
9. Flood-fill the selection with the solid color you used in the twisty ribbon.
10. Effects > Plugins > Vizros 4 > Curl Apply these settings:
Choose Top Left, Input, Direction = 5, Angle = 280, Radius = 50, Projection = 15
In the Settings drop-down menu, choose Fore Page. Choose Image, slide to the left (Opaque). CHECK Anti-alias
Then In the Settings drop-down menu, choose Back Page. Choose Image, Slider to the RIGHT (transparent)
Then In the Settings drop-down menu, choose Ground Page. Choose Solid Color = white, Slider to the LEFT
Then In the Settings drop-down menu, choose Unselected Page. Choose Solid Color = white, Slider to the LEFT. Click OK
11. Now click on the lower layer in the Layer Palette, and Repeat Step 10 (using the Vizros Plugin). You must apply the Vizros plugin to both ribbon layers.
This is what your canvas will look like.
12. Selections > Select None
13. Image > Mirror
14. Image > Flip
15. With the mover tool, move the ribbon into place, flushed with the other one, so that it looks like below (I put the pattern layer on top)
16. Right-click on the top layer and choose Merge > Merge Down
17. Click back on the twisty ribbon that you put aside. Image > Free Rotate. Right, 90 degrees.
18. Edit > Copy
19. Click back on the loop image. Edit > Paste as a New Layer. With the mover tool, move the pieces into place.
20. In the Layer Palette right-click on the BOTTOM (loop) layer, choose Duplicate
21. Image > Mirror
22. With the mover tool, move the mirrored loop into place.
23. In the Layer Palette, Right-click on the middle (second) LOOP layer-- this should be your middle layer. and choose Merge > Merge Down
24. Right-click on the merged layer and choose Duplicate.
25. Image > Flip
26. Choose the Pen tool. Choose the Bezier Curve and set width = 3, CREATE as vector Checked. Set foreground color = black, background color = NULL.
27. Draw an antenna by left-clicking on the body part first, then left clicking off the ribbonfly. When you do the second click, do not release the mouse button. Hold it down and drag out the arrow to make the antenna curve some, like in the image below. Release. Click the Apply Green check in the top tool bar.
28. Choose the paint brush tool set to round, size 5 brush and left-click once on the end of the antenna to place the dot on the end. Now either use the pen tool to draw the second antenna, or duplicate this antenna layer and flip it.
29. Layers > Merge > Merge Visible.
30. Save this as a PNG image if you plan on sharing with other users.
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.