I own the intellectual copyright for the written tutorial. What you make is yours, but please do not take my tutorial. Share only my link.
This tutorial is intended for beginners to learn how to use an alpha Channel canvas. If you have any questions, please feel free to Email me.
Remember to save as a psp file often!
1. Download the Snowman Canvas.
2. Unzip and Open the snowman Canvas in PSP. SHIFT+D to duplicate, and close the original.
The canvas will look blank:
3. Layers > New Raster Layer (do this before loading EACH selection!)
4. Selections > Load/Save Selection > Load Selection from Alpha Channel
5. Choose the first selection (body) and click ok.
6. Flood-fill the selection with white.
7. Selections > Float
8. Effects > 3D Effects > Cutout. Vertical & Horizontal = 0, opacity = 100, blur = 60, Shadow color = pale blue
9. Selections > Defloat
10. Repeat steps 3 - 9 for EACH selection channel in the canvas. The key point is to remember to create a new layer FIRST before loading each selection.
To choose your selection channel, click on the arrow drop-down menu, then click on the picture. The head would be the second selection channel.
all of the snowman body parts should be filled with white. The hat with a charcoal gray or brown, and the mittens and hat trim with whatever color you want to use.
This is what your canvas will look like when you finish all selection channels. Note that each part is on its own layer.
11. Ok, let's create the eyes. Choose the selection tool, set to ellipse. Layers > New Raster Layer.
12. On the top layer, draw an ellipse for an eye. I drew it off to the side, so I could see it better. Flood-fill this selection with white.
13. On the same layer, set the selection to circle. Draw a circle at the bottom of the eye, and flood-fill it with black.
14. With the magic wand, select the blank space outside of the eye!
15. Effects > 3D effects > Drop Shadow Vertical & Horizontal = 2, Opacity = 75, blur = 10, color = black.
16. Selection > None. With the mover tool, move the eye into position over the head.
17. Right-click on the eye layer and choose Duplicate.
18. With the mover tool, move the second eye into position over the head.
19. Choose the pen tool, set mode = curve, width = 2 or 3, foreground = black, background = NULL. With the pen tool, left-click where the mouth begins, then left-click and DRAG where the mouth ends. Drag around to make the mouth curve/smile. When satisfied, release the mouse and click on the green CHECK in the toolbar to apply.
20. Change the foreground color to a dark orange, and the background color to a lighter orange. Use the pen tool to draw a carrot nose.
21. Right-click on the nose layer and choose Rasterize Layer.
22. With the magic wand, select outside of the nose. Effects > 3D Effects > Drop Shadow. Use same settings as before.
23. Embellish or decorate your snowman as you wish. I added a scarf on a NEW layer. But you could also add a pipe, or add flowers to the hat -- however you want to decorate.
24. Right-click on top layer: Merge > Merge Visible.
25. Save this as a PNG to use later as a tube: File > Save AS, PNG format.
26. SAVE this as a GIF to sue on a website or in email: File > Export > GIF Optimizer.
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.