Type Mask Cutouts
I wrote this tutorial on my own. Any similarity to another tutorial is purely coincidental. I claim the copyright to my tutorial. You are free to do whatever you please with what you make, but please do not take my tutorial. Do not send the tutorial through email. Only share my link.
This tutorial is intended for a beginner to learn about Type Masks. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.
To do this tutorial you will also need Photoshop CS3. You may download a free trial at Adobe.
Remember to save as a .psd file often!
You will need two photos.
We have learned where we can use quick masks to make selections that hide certain features. You can create a mask out of a type layer and do the same.
1. Open up the photo that you wish to show through your text. Image > Duplicate.
2. Resize as necessary. Image > Resize. Then sharpen if you resized: Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen
3. Click on the arrow for the Text tool and choose Horizontal Type Mask Tool
4. Choose your font, and make the color Black. Type in your word. I recommend a fairly thick font. You can see the effect better. I used Plump MT for my font. Click the CHECK to apply the text. The text will be selected.
5. Choose the Rectangular Marquee Tool
6. Now hold the cursor over the selection and you will see the cursor change to an arrow with a marquee box next to it. When it changes, hold the left mouse button down and you can drag this around with your cursor and move the selection to any position in your picture.
7. Edit > Copy
8. Open up the second photo. Image > Duplicate. Close the original.
9. Edit > paste Your graphic words will appear on the image as a layer by itself.
10. Use the mover tool, to move the words into position.
11. In the Layer Palette, right-click on the layer and choose Blending Options. Click on the WORDS Drop Shadow. Apply these settings: Blend Mode = Multiply, black, Opacity = 75%, angle = 30 , distance = 5, spread = 0, size = 5.
12. Layers > merge Visible
13. Save this as a JPEG. File > Save As.
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.