The idea for this tutorial came from my friend, Cathy/Moomaw . With her permission, I wrote this tutorial to show how to create her tag. Any similarity to another tutorial is purely coincidental. I claim the copyright to my tutorial. You are free to do whatever you please with what you make, but please do not take my tutorial. Do not send the tutorial through email. Only share my link.
This tutorial was created for some friends of mine who wanted to begin learning more about PSP. It is intended for beginners to learn how to use vector path to create text paths and to animate. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.
Remember to save as a psp file often!
You will need a witch on a broom tube, or a bird, or dragon, or butterfly....
1. Open a new, transparent image, size 600 x 300.
2. Choose the pen tool. In the pen tool bar at the top, set to freehand, with width = 300. Set your foreground to some color you will not be using for your text, and background to NULL. Set to Create as a vector.
3. Draw a curvy path, like in the pic below. This will be created on a vector layer in the Layer Palette. Right-click on this layer and choose Rename. Call it Path.
4. Choose the text tool. Choose your font (I used Dauphin), centered, and size (about 36). Set your foreground to one color, and background to another. Set to Create as a Vector.
5. Hover the mouse cursor over the vector path you drew. When you do the cursor chooses to a capital A with a curve under it. Click somewhere near the end (about half an inch) of your path. Type your trail message.
6., If you look at your Layer Palette, you should now see a plus (+) sign next to the Vector Layer. Click on that plus sign and it opens up the sub layers. You should have one vector layer called Happy Halloween (or whatever message you typed), and another called Path.
7. Move the cursor over to another spot (just where the first vector box ends), get the A cursor, and type the same message. You can see how your two message layers overlap in the image. In the Layer Palette, the new vector message layer is created on top of the old message layer, so the layers will go up the palette.
8. Continue clicking around the path creating new vector layers for the message. I ended up with 5 message layers, and a path layer.
9. Right-click on the top message layer (my black arrow is pointing to the one I mean). Choose Create Raster Selection. It is important that you start at the top of the vector layers and go down to get your promoted layers in the right order.
10. Then Right-click on the Vector 1 layer (highlighted) and choose Promote Selection to Layer.
11. Now right-click on the second vector message layer (from the top) and choose Create Raster Layer. Then Right-click on the Vector 1 layer (highlighted) and choose Promote Selection to Layer.
*12. Continue repeating Step 11 on each of the remaining vector message layers. You will end up with the same number of promoted Selection layers as you have message layers (Don't count the path layer).
13. Right-click on the Vector1 layer and choose Delete. We don't need the vectors anymore.
14. Right-click on the Raster 1 layer, and choose Delete.
15. Open up the tube you wish to use. In the top menu, click Image > Resize. Resize so that the height is 100 pixels.
16. On the tube, click Edit > Copy.
17. Click back on the message image. Click Edit > Paste as new layer. Rename this layer to tube, and drag the tube layer to the very bottom.
18. In top menu, click Adjust > Sharpness > Sharpen.
19. In the Layer Palette, HIDE all layers except for the bottom tube layer. To hide a layer, click on the eye and turn the eye into a red X.
20. Right-click on the bottom tube layer and choose Duplicate.
21. HIDE the bottom tube layer. Move the Copy of tube layer ABOVE the lowest Promoted Selection. UNHIDE that promoted selection (see pic below)
22. With the mover tool, move the tube to the end of the message, as in pic below.
23. Right-click on the tube layer and choose Merge > Merge Visible. HIDE the merged layer.
24. Right-click on the bottom tube layer and choose Duplicate.
25. UNHIDE that duplicated layer and move ABOVE the lowest Promoted Selection layer. UNHIDE that Promoted Selection Layer.
26. Move the tube to the end of the message. Now you may need the deformation tool to rotate the tube so that it is following the turns in the path (see pic below).
27. Right-click on the copy of tube layer and choose merge. HIDE the merge layer.
*28. For each promoted selection layer that is left, REPEAT Steps 24 - 27, until each promoted selection layer has been merged with a tube layer.
29. UNHIDE ALL layers. See the pic above, you should still have one tube layer on the bottom, and the rest are merged layers.
30. Choose the Selection tool, set to Rectangle. Click on the merged Opaque icon (has blue box around it in pic). This puts a tight selection box around your message layers.
31. In top menu, click Image > Crop to Selection.
32. Save this image as a PSP format.
33. Open this image in ANIMATION SHOP.
34. In top menu, click Edit > Select All
35. Right-click on one of the frames and choose frame properties. Set the Display to 25.
36. Click on the last frame. Right-click on it and choose frame properties. Set the Display to 100.
37. Now save this image as a GIF. File > Save As.
Please do not remove this tutorial from my site. Share my url.